Richard E. Lenski
Hannah Distinguished Professor
Michigan State University
February 24th 2013 is the 25th anniversary of the LTEE at the Lenski Lab!
generations of e. coli evolution and counting.
Recent Press about Our Research ...
- Carl Zimmer reports in the
New York Times on the Scence Article Repeatability and
Contingency in the Evolution of a Key Innovation in Phage Lambda by
current and former lab members: Justin R. Meyer, Devin T. Dobias, Joshua
S. Weitz, Jeffrey E. Barrick, Ryan T. Quick, and Richard E. Lenski
(26 January 2012). You can also listen to Justin's Science
- New York Times, Science News, Discover, New Scientist, Nature, and msnbc report our recent findings on evolvability (March 2011)
- BEACON, an NSF Center for the Study of Evolution in Action, is funded and announced (17 February 2010)
- Tanguy Chouard writes in Nature on the role of mutations in evolution (February 2010)
- The Greatest Show on Earth (2009) by Richard Dawkins discusses our work at length
- Carl Zimmer blogs our latest research:
A New Step in Evolution (June 2008)
- New York Times article on bacterial evolution:
Fast-Reproducing Microbes Provide a Window on Natural Selection
Also of Interest ...
Special Report on Evolution and Darwin including
my essay and
The E. coli
long-term evolution experiment
Some thoughts and
readings on the history and philosophy of science
Miscellaneous Stuff ...
- A poem by the late Nobel Prize winning Polish Poet Wislawa
Szymborska: Maybe All This
has a nice resonance with the work we do on the Long Term
Evolution Experiment. From
The New Yorker (Nov. 1992).
- For those interested in the tension between science and religion,
and my own thoughts on the subject, here are links to a
passage that I admire from a book written in the 1700s, my
portion of a
public dialogue with a theologian
in 1998, and - especially for educators - a
brief summary of the evidence for evolution.